The maintenance department in each district works hard all year long to keep the district running smoothly but the summer months are a little busier! How well do your associates know and follow good fire safety practices? Ask these questions to find your strengths and weaknesses in fire safety:
- Do I know the location of fire extinguishers and alarm boxes in each area I work?
- Do I know what fire extinguishers to use for each flammable or combustible chemical I use?
- Do I know and understand fire safety precautions for materials as outlined in warning labels or SDSs?
- Do I keep flammable and combustible materials away from heat and machinery?
- Do I know my district’s emergency plan and escape routes?
- Do I know what my role is in case of fire?
- Do I take time to participate in fires safety training and drills?
- Do I keep my work area free of combustible dust and debris?
- Do I dispose of chemical-soaked rags and combustible materials properly?
- Do I keep electrical equipment free of dust and grease and in good operating condition?
- Do I use caution when operating welding or other spark-producing equipment?
- Do I make sure all electrical equipment is grounded and protected?
- Do I clean up or report all spills of flammable material or chemicals?
- Do I use grounding and bonding wires when transferring flammable chemicals from one container to another?
- Do I ensure I never overload circuits?
- Do I make sure no one smokes in unauthorized areas?
For more information or if you have questions please contact Jim Wirth, 614.546.7331 or email@example.com.